Finding the IP address of a Website
Finding the IP Address of a Website: This exercise will show you how to obtain the information about a website by using the ping and tracert.
- On a Windows system, open the command prompt and enter the following command: ping jahasoft.com
- Note the IP address that is returned, along with any other statistics such as packets lost and approximate round-trip time. This information will give you an idea of the connection’s performance and quality.
- Determine the frame size on the network by entering this command: ping jahasoft.com -f -l 1300
- Note the response to the command. If the command indicates the packet was fragmented, then decrease the 1300 value gradually until the results indicate otherwise. One you get a valid value, note the number.
- At the command prompt, enter the following command, Tracert <ip address>where <ip address> is the one you recorded in step 1.
- The results reveal information about the path that traffic is taking from the local host to the remote host. Note the response times and the locations that may have dropped packets. It is possible that devices such as firewalls, routers, and other may alter the expected responses of packets and the results you would normally encounter.